Oh Schist! (was: Rock and a hard place)

From: johnjmedway <jmedway_at_io.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 17:42:13 -0600 (CST)

> Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 18:17:58 -0800
> From: d.bourne_at_dial.pipex.com (danny bourne)
> Subject: Rock and a hard place
>
> >johnjmedway bemoans the fact that:
> >> there just aren't enough cool-sounding igneous and metamorphic rocks
> >> ("Pumice Phalanx" or "Gneiss Phalanx" or "Schist Phalanx" anyone?).
> >
> >I'd pay hard cash to see at least two of in print!

I'd pay a couple of clacks to find out why quotes from the beginning of last December just now appeared. Not enough to do Alex?

> >> [Granite, Marble, Jasper, Beryl, Agate, Onyx, Quartz, Slate, Jade,
> >> Basalt, Carnelian and Obsidian]

- -..
> >Cooler-sounding, but less Sensible would be malachite, feldspar, amber,
> >or flint.

Malachite I think is Nick's pet phalanx, and I think that appeared in print somewhere, so it must be official <g>.

> Of course the 64,000 bolg question is when are these miniature rules going
> to appear? Come on John, 'fess up. (Still, at least I've learned how to
> spell dev-a-station, eh John ;-) ).

Rob Smith and I recently had some sort of "shall we kill it, or shall we continue to develop it, despite the fact that only one other the (human?) being (that being danny) in the world seems interested enough to nag us about it?" discussion. Surprisingly, we decided that we had gone too far with it to just toss it in the bin.

So, the plan is to simplify it some more (and an evening of carnage with a couple of wide-tip red pens looks like we'll cut at least 10 pages and make it far less fussy), and make one last Gloranthan version. Hopefully that would appear at the con in L.A.

Now, of course "the plan" has some potential obstacles to its accomplishment:

  1. I am job hunting, and finding a new job comes first (and no Neal, I'm not looking in Seattle, _yet).
  2. Once I have a new job, I may not have as much time to devote to RD, and to get it done right, I'd need to work fairly intensively on it.

Anyway, after that, unless we get enough interest in actually publishing a Gloranthan version (official or otherwise), any further development would be with some other background, since I'm the only local minis player who gives a XO_at_#! about Glorantha. Then we'd need to see if we can sell it to someone, since we wouldn't have the $ to do it right given the rather high production cost.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #466