Re: Orlanthi head-hunting?; god learning

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 10:13:17 -0800

Andy Staples wrote

> I came across a reference to Orlanthi head-hunting on one of the articles on
> Loren's web-site (David Cake's Killing People Dead). Superb article, but
>where
> has this idea of Orlanthi taking heads come from? Is there a published item
> about it, or is it just part of the continual Celtification of Orlanthi?
>
> It just seems a bit too Thanatari to me...

I use the idea in my East Ralios game, in part because I take inspiration from Ireland, in part because it adds fun to the game (nobody can forget the amorous suitor who brought not only a horse for his would-be bride, but its rider's head).

But there are some indications that it's an old-fashioned tradition among Orlanthi, now mostly forgotten.

Also, it's amusing to have the Thanatari as a twisted version of a once-honorable tradition.

Jon Green wrote

> IMG the God Learners changed
> some Gods' natures by perverting their Paths

While you're the authority on your game, I suspect that the God Learners didn't in fact change the nature of the gods (otherwise there wouldn't have been the "False Gods Revolt"). Instead, they changed the nature of the cults.

I doubt Abraham changed the biblical god to one who no longer required human sacrifice. Or that Jesus or Mohammed changed him once again. Surely they were revealing new ways to worship the same divinity. Not that followers of these different ways might not consider each other to worship different or changed gods -- the effect is much the same.