Lanbril Synopsis

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:20:45 +1300 (NZDT)

Frank Rafaelsen:

>I've seen [Lanbril] refered to countless times and it has started to anoy
>me that I know next to nothing about it. Any chance of getting a summary
>of the cult's history, hierarchy and magic?

He's supposedly a son of Grandfather Mortal who became bitter with society after the other gods rejected him because his father was slain by Death. To wit, he's your typical social maladjust who reckons that society is to blame. Runes: Disorder, Mastery and Illusion.

Cult History: No one has bothered sorting through all the criminal records of south-central genertela to write a history of the God of Thieves. There are bound to be well-known cult heroes such as "Granny Basher" Grimshaw who made a living out of breaking into the homes of little old ladies before being hung, drawn and crucified by Lunar Authorities in 1612 ST.

Cult Hierarchy: They are organized in crimegangs grouped around a single priest who is rarely involved in crime but acts as your gangland boss/fence etc. Initiates form the inner ring and act as enforcers and messengers to the thieves at large. Most lay thieves do not know the identity of the Priest. There are three Lanbril rings in New Pavis alone (although I think the number is inflated due to the special circumstances that surround New Pavis).

There's also Rune Lords who are Master Thieves.

Cult magic. Well. The main gripe I have with the RQ2 cult writeup is that it gives him *everything* but the kitchen sink. I can only presume that Lanbril cultists are required to nick their own kitchen sinks.

Skills: Streetwise, Fasttalk, Feign Death, Foil Restraints, Voice Mimicry, Shadowing and Thieves Argot.

Alchemical recipies: Thunder Lung Dust, Dust of Death, Visibility Dust, Scent-stop Dust, Stink Dust, Sleep Powder, Smoke Bombs and Flares.

Battle Magics: Conceal item, Face of Lanbril (gives thief an unremarkable face) and Forget (induces a mild form of alzheimers - - very potent for battle magic methinks).

Rune Magic: Divination Block.

Special Devices: Chirper, Whumpers and the Thief's Helper. The first two are distraction devices whereas the helper is a gloranthan version of Batman's utility belt. I'm quite suprised that Dwarf Assault Ladders weren't included.

With all that, thieves have to be as thick as thieves not to join the cult!

Personally to update the cult, I would quietly inhume the special devices, the cult skills, the alchemical recipes and the battle magics leaving Lanbril with Divination Block (given in Gods of Glorantha) and whatever spells he can nick from others. Other people's tastes will undoubtedly differ and some items would be fine if they turned up as a one-of-a-time item - ie players are trying to track a thief who uses smoke-bombs). I would also get rid of the distinction between Priest and Lord as an unnecessary RQ2ism like ye olde Sword-Sages, Storm Bull Priests etc.