in the dark...

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt Computer) <"Daniel>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 07:43:14 -0800

Paul Stolar asks some good questions, and though I only know the "right" answer to the first, I will give MY answer to all ;-)
  1. How does one reconsile flying insects, since insects are darkness

        creatures and flight is an air/sky domain? Gorakiki is so fertile and successful that her children have colonised everywhere. There are Flying insects, swimming insects, burrowing insects, and probably even Red Moon insects (MGF note -- there MUST be a Gorakiki cult somewhere dedicated to colonising the red moon...) Flying insects would have first appeared sometime after Umath created Middle air. Gorakiki originated in the darkness, but she is perfectly happy for her children to live anywhere they can -- the more the merrier!

I don't know of any "official" answers to the rest of your questions, but I'll give a pass at them IMO, IMG, and UntillTheReleaseOfDrasticDarkness ;-)

        2. Is there 'air' in hell?
There is now... When Yelm invaded, he brought all sorts of horrible, awful, nasty stuff with him, and air was one of those things.

        3. What did the trolls in Godtime breathe? IMO Mistress Race Trolls don't HAVE to breathe. Requiring Air is one of the things that makes Dark Trolls weak and pathetic. In the "Good Old Days
(tm)" UzUz just Ate. Even now, I suppose the Dark trolls consider
Breathing to be just another specialized form of consumption. Troll Physicians probably consider Lungs to be just another sort of stomache. Sea Trolls, being more closely related to the Mistress Race don't need to breathe (no matter what those long-bearded twits in Nochet say ;-)

        4. Are these questions just things that we should accept as part of the

        myth?
Only if it doesn't matter in your game... and you don't want to be bothered to make something up (or don't want to feel obligated to retrofit when someone with more Ink makes up something different)

The only real game impact of my particular set of solutions to the problem is that it would be quite silly to attempt to "smother" a mistress troll.
(and that isn't really a CHANGE, now, is it???)

danm

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #472