Orlanthi thieves

From: Richard, Jeff <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 11:11:52 -0800

Howdy all -

Joerg writes"
>Now, it is a known fact (though hardly published) that the early 3rd Age
>Orlanthi of Sylila, Saird etc. had a tradition of criminals within their
>society - most likely something like the Sicilian mafia.

I think "criminals" is the wrong adjective. They were legitimate clans that use force to monopolize certain types of urban activities - and demanded tribute from folk that operated in their "tula". They were not "outlaws," although upon occasion kings and city tyrants did wage war against these clans. But criminals - nonsense! Remember, the Orlanthi concept of "crime" is rather different from our conception of "crime".

Anyone who has played in Fall of the House of Malan can attest to how similar Orlanthi politics can be to a good gangster film, although I think MOB could give De Niro a run for his money in his portrayal of a mafia chieftain.

Orlanthi clans involved in this sort of urban activity would not be "second-story men" or "thieves" like that normally depicted in FRPGs. They would be extortionists, protection racketeers, and, no doubt, merchants. Think of the de Medici's before they destroyed the Florentine Republic.

Erik Nolander writes:
>Despite the fact that this comes from the Man himself, I can't remember
>any reference to it. Why not have Lanbril as the Theyalan thief god, and
>instead have local sub-cults in each city?

If this works for you run with it. Personally, I think that Lanbril is just a regional cult - perhaps a cult that developed during the centuries when the residents of Pavis struggled for survival against nomad and later trollish oppression. I strongly doubt that there is such a thing as "the Theyalan thief god" - tell me, who was the Greco-Roman "thief god"?

Jeff