Re: Missiles, Darts

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 19:09:07 -0500

Alain asks some old questions about RQ battle magic:

> What was the reason of having a fixed Speedart spell causing +3dmg
> and giving +15%, and not having a missile variable spell similar to
> bladesharp (+1dmg/+5% per point?).

Speedart is cast once per missile. Bladesharp once per sword. The cost per extra point of damage is considerably different: in five minutes, you can whack lots of people with one sword, but can probably only fire your arrow into one of them. Hence the difference.

If, in your Glorantha, you want to allow Speedart to be cast on missile *weapons* (i.e. the bow, not the arrows; the crossbow, not the quarrels),=

you should certainly tone it down towards parity with Bladesharp.

> Farsee: What about giving +5% per point for missile weapon attack? =

> (it would be like a scope?).

You could do this IYG (and it wouldn't be unbalancing), but I think the point is that with a bow or similar weapon, whether or not you hit the target has far more to do with your accuracy and skill, far less to do with whether or not you have an excellent telescopic view of your target.=

A bow is not a rifle. (I will, of course, bow to superior knowledge from the likes of Joerg, or any other archers on the list).

Simon writes, re: Yelmic Patriarchs involved in Dart Competitions:

> Surely Dart Competitions can also involve honourable duels, poetry =

> competitions, clan warfare and other such means. To restrict them to =

> single warriors throwing silver darts at other people is a little =

> silly. Anyway, if a clan can hire Harrek in the Dart Wars then =

> anything goes.

The point is, if some enemy of a Yelmic Patriarch chooses to wipe his family out (by fair means or foul), that Yelmic Patriarch has just got involved in a "Dart Competition". He needn't volunteer, or be particularly  keen on the notion: he can't really write a polite note to his enemy, asking him to "play by the rules" (unless he wants to be laughed at); he can austerely and aloofly refuse to have anything much to do with his household's improvisations and expedients to meet the threat; but he would be barking mad to ignore the real danger in which he is placed. A Dart Competition is what happens when A decides to destroy B; it's not what happens when A and B agree to settle their differences in an open and above-board manner. OK, so maybe Yelmic Patriarchs don't *start* many Dart Competitions. I'd bet they'd take pride in *finishing* them!

::::
Nick
::::