IMPORTANT: re: Convulsion Web Sign-Ups

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 05:30:59 -0500

IMPORTANT WARNING! re: <http://www.tang.demon.co.uk/small/begin.html>

Our Internet Service Provider has just told us that their CGI scripts are intermittently failing, due to the Unix paradigm being exceeded by our Convulsion Web Page. Whatever that means! (If it makes perfect sense to you, please drop me a line: you could be a life-saver!)

In simpler words, we can't be sure we've received every electronically submitted registration from the Convulsion 4 website. This shouldn't be much of a problem, as anyone who's signed up on-line knows they'll need to send money to us by snail-mail anyway in order to confirm their registration: we can't accept cash over the Web. (Thank God, or who knows where it would have ended up!)

So: we are working flat-out to come up with a fix, which may involve redesigning the website from scratch, reloading it, or some other such mucking around. In the meantime, could anyone who subscribed on-line after 14th February and has not received any acknowledgement from us
(e-mail or flyer) please re-send their details by normal e-mail to:

        Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>

who is the Membership and Finance chap on the Convulsion Committee.

We've also recently noticed that some of you foreign fellows have all sorts of weird letters in your alphabets which us Brits don't use. If your address includes weird Scandinavian characters like A's with two dots over them, or O's with slashes through them, or lord knows what else, there's a fair chance we'll receive a garbled and illegible version of it, and won't be able to mail stuff to you. So, unless you *know* your local post office is run by deliberately perverse types who will refuse to attempt to interpret foreign mail, please submit any details you want us to read using the plain English character set.

Convulsion 4 will be held from July 24-27 at Leicester University, UK. Sadly, Sandy Petersen has been forced to cancel, but our Guest List now includes Greg Stafford (creator of Glorantha, founder of Chaosium and Issaries Inc.), Ken Rolston (Avalon Hill's former Rune Czar), Michael O'Brien (Mr MGF, pioneer of the RuneQuest Renaissance), Robin D. Laws
(author of Issaries Inc's *new* Gloranthan role-playing game), Neil
Robinson (Canadian folk-hero and LARP-provider), Oliver Dickinson
(author of "Griselda"), David Hall (editor of Tales, founder of the
Reaching Moon Megacorp), and Kevin Jacklin (the UK's Mr Freeforming), plus other famous authors and artists too numerous to name-check!

The Con will feature Reaching Moon Megacorp's "Life of Moonson", a 50- player Gloranthan freeform; other Gloranthan freeforms include "The Saga of Orkarl's Bull" (Orlanthi clan feuds), "Revolt in the Redlands" (the sequel to "Tarsh War"), and an as-yet-unnamed piece of Esrolian skullduggery  and intrigue set in far-off Notchet City, from the team that brought you "Orkarl's Bull" and "Fall of the House of Malan". There's also a packed programme of games, seminars, and fooling around, with tournaments for RuneQuest, Cthulhu and Pendragon, and everything else that you've come to expect from our Conventions.

Register now, while places are still available! (But don't trust the Web page to do everything for you!!)

::::            Convulsion 4 information is available on my homepage:
Nick            <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Nick_Brooke>
::::            and on the C4 site (but don't depend on it to mail us!)