Now what?

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 14:30:35 -0600

Fergie:
>From what time/astronomical event do the Doraddi (or the archetypal,
normative, "average" Doraddi at least)
>count each calendar "day" as beginning (and hence, ending)?
	I am not sure, but I have three suggestions:
	1) The day officially begins when a Day Gecko first chirps.
(This is an ordinary animal, common in oases.)
	2) The day officially begins when the Sunlily opens its buds.
This plant blooms year-round.
	3) The day officially begins when the last dew has evaporated.

You can see my tendency is to base the Doraddi system of time on real-world events, rather than astronomical occurrences.

Gary R Switzer
>I have some questions for everyone about how the sun looks depending on
where you are in Glorantha, having >played around with a map, some blocks to represent various tall mountains and a flashlight.

        In my opinion the Sun is so far from Glorantha that it does not seem appreciably further away at Dawn whether you are in the East Isles or Jrustela.

Erik Nolander
>Black Fang is a local cult, but he was a Lanbril cultist, wasn't he?

        I know of no evidence that the Lanbril cult was important to Black Fang. He may have been initiated at some point in his long and treacherous life, but he was clearly never a cult leader.

Tony Rose
>what type of malkionism is practiced in God Forgot

        It's quite marvelous, really: They are "mock-Brithini". I am here quoting from other Digesters as well as some of my own stuff: There may never have been "real" Brithini in God Forgot, ever. The people there today who look and act like Brithini are remnants of other faiths who've gone "back to basics".

        The natives of Thoxos, Tosk, and Tang each have different tales of how God died and left them sans history, sans myth, sans afterlife, sans everything, but their tales all blend together into one symphony of woe.

        Basically, the God Forgot folk _pretend_ to be Brithini. They all keep trying desperately to believe that if they act right, think right, live right, they'll not age and die. All around them they see people getting older, getting sick, dying, and they try to blind their eyes to it, rationalize it away "Old man Brooke died because he was sinful. Righteous people don't die. Everyone knows that. Don't they?"

        Of course, they don't live longer than anyone else, but further they live in the nightmare of pretending to be unchanging, hiding their children from one another, naming their sons and daughters after themselves, with hereditary jobs and no social mobility. Everyone is enslaved to their place in the hierarchy, which is rigid, sterile and unchanging. These artificial Brithini cannot even permit themselves to hope: hope is the expectation of change for the better, and there can be nothing better than the perfect society to which they are heirs.

        Everything is running down, and everybody knows it, but no-one can possibly admit that the whole basis of their society is a lie.

>several races have been described as pygmies, such as the impala and
bolo lizard people of prax and the wasp >people of sartar .Have characteristics for these races ever been printed

        Yes. In essence, a pygmy has a STR of 2d8 and a SIZ of 3d3. Aside from that they are identical to humans. If you felt chauvinistic you might want to give a pygmy woman a STR of 2d6, but her size is similar to that of a man.

Paul W. Stolar
>1. How does one reconsile flying insects, since insects are darkness
creatures and flight is an air/sky domain?

        Insects adapted to the surface world just like every other creature that came here. In any case, while insects may have originally descended from darkness creatures, they have by now ensconced themselves in a huge variety of roles, often quite far from their original element. Who could possibly argue that butterflies are beasts of darkness? Or bees? Or dung beetles? Clearly insects have made it into all elements and probably all Runes.

2. Is there 'air' in hell?

        Yes. Dead, stale air. Plenty of air has died in myth and history.

3. What did the trolls in Godtime breathe?

        Before Umath was born, nobody had to breathe anything. After he came, most creatures adapted to the new situation. The only creatures that don't breathe air are those of Water (old victims of the Air) and certain deep burrowers of Earth.

4. Are these questions just things that we should accept as part of the myth?

        It depends on how anal-retentive the questioner is.