Horizons and maps

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:54:42 EST

Jonathon Coxhead:

<< By the way, I'm enjoying the discussion on the appearance of the sun at  various points times in the day, and the discussion I read recently on the  appearance of the horizon in a flat earth. (Essentially, there isn't one.  If you go out on aclear day by the coast and look out to sea, the horizon  is very obvious. It's an interesting mental exercise to try to imagine  what you would see if the earth were flat.)>>

      Strangely, Glorantha *does* have a horizon - even though we are specifically told it doesn't in Strangers in Prax (p36). It's assumed this is because Gloranthan light is bendy, since the world is well known to be flat.

 Mark Leymaster:

<<(1) the Ice Bay seems to be fed by two rivers, both labeled the Poralistor
River one from the Elf Sea, the other from the Sweet Sea. Is this an error?>>

    I believe so. The eastern one is actually the Arcos AFAIK.

<<(2) There is a huge plateau, surrounded by clifs just east of Nochet on the
coast. Does it have a name or a history?>>

     This would be Shadow Plateau, the Darkness portion of the Holy Country. Its named on the maps on pp 51 and 59 of the Genertela Book,and described on p52 with further info. in Trollpak.

 Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky