Glorantha the 3D model

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:30:30 +0000

Jonathan Coxhead suggested:

> I wonder if a similar thing could be done for Glorantha? A 3-d
> modelled image that you could view at different scales and actually see
> what the appearance of the atmospheric effects are, and maybe even a
> version by night, as well. I'd be tempted to do it myself, but I don't
> have the resources right now. I'm sure the results would be impressive,
> though.

Well, I do have the ability to create (simple) VRML files and put them on the Web. A detailed model would break most browsers, but a simple one: yes, something could be done. All I need is some dimensions to work with. I can get the basics of the Lozenge from a map of Glorantha. Would someone like to supply me with the *universally* *accepted* measurements for:

  1. the radius of the Sky Dome
  2. the position and path of the Sun
  3. ditto for the Red Moon
  4. heights of all significant mountain ranges and other features of interest.

Note that "significant" means a measurement greater than 1/1000 of the dimensions of the entire model: browsers tend to get upset about showing very small things in a very big universe.

And of course, if we can't agree on these things, I can't model them :(

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/