Heropaths

From: Richard Ohlson <richo_at_epix.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 23:13:42 -0500

This discusion about the Lead Cross Quest has lead me to a couple of questions regarding heropaths. For one, does a hero path have to represent the direct actions of a god, or can they reflect the actions of a hero.

For instance, I was told that the Lead Cross Quest revolved around a Humakti Hero who heard about a Challana Arroy that was doing some thoughtless resurecting, and went out to whack her. Now, this doesn't really reflect the
"will" of Humakt, or recreate anything he does, but people who repeat the
quest are doing a Humakti HeroQuest.

Now, why can't Humakt himself, through divine intervention, contact on the HeroPlane, etc, tell his Swords, "Do not repeat that blasphemous quest."??? Free will or no, it might be part of Humakt's character to be offended by pointless killing, and the fact that a Hero went nuts and carried things
"to far" doesn't really change the god, does it?

Second, is it possible to steal a hero path from another cult? For instance, Yanafal Tarnils gets Truesword. And if you play that every Runespell has an associated quest (even if minor) and if you play that Y.T. is a splinter from Humakt, then there is a very good chance that they have the same ritual for getting the spell. Likewise, Wachazans cry themselves to sleep because they can't get Shield, but I can't see why Wachazan Heroes wouldn't have gone to steal the spell from other cults. (Unless Wachazan Heroes are traditionally ineffectual Heroquesters, of course. But then again, it was the war cult of the Godlearners, so I'm surprised they don't have even BETTER tricks for stealing cool tricks like Shield and Truenet.) My players, of course, feel that it's only because THEY haven't gotten around to it yet, but seriously...it's gonna have to be REALLY difficult, no?

Oh, and just wondering, do you think that Orlanth and Humakt have the same ritual for Shield? What with them both being storm gods and brothers? Or is it a matter of, "Different spell, similar effects?"

Rich Ohlson