free will

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cyllene.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:31:10 +0800

jonathan_at_doves.demon.co.uk
> 'Everyone knows that mortal beings have free will?' Nah ... they are
>just persuaded by certain high-level components of their nervous systems
>that they have free will, in order to account for the otherwise
>inexplicable things that they do all the time.

        High level components of their nervous system? Surely their spirit is involved here somewhere? And what about all those free willed being without nervous systems, hey?

        Never make the mistake of thinking that real world philosophical positions make any sense in Glorantha.

        And for that matter, I don't have a lot of time for this sort of argument in modern philosophy either, as I consider it fundamentally a confusion of terms - whatever 'free will' is, its fairly pointless to define it in such a manner that no one ever has it.

        For that matter, what free will in the heroquest sense means (as opposed to the philosophical sense) may be somewhat better defined. I think it means something along the lines of 'may attempt to change ones own nature', which live human beings are certainly capable of to some extent, though there are limits.

        Cheers

                David