Hermes, God of thieves

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:43:00 -0600

>Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 12:15:50 -0800
>From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
>Subject: Hermes and Orlanthi Crime
>
>Andrew Joelson writes that the Greco-Roman "thief god" was:
>>"Hermes/Mercury. However, he wasn't the "Thief God", he was the God of
>Messengers, Medicine, >Thieves, and probably a couple of other things that=

>I have forgotten. Which is to say, being Patron of >Thieves was one of=
 his
>many aspects."
>
>The statement Hermes was Patron of Thieves is an unfortunate legacy of=
 AD&D
>and has little to do with the actual "cult of Hermes".

>Hermes was invoked as a mediator, a source of clever
>inspiration, and as a male fertility figure - not the patron of some
>non-existent class of "thieves". For more information I strongly=
 recommend
>"Religion in the Ancient Greek City", Louise Bruit Zaidman and Pauline
>Schmitt Pantel, Cambridge University Press.

I'll quibble with this a bit, Jeff. The association of Hermes with Thieves=  was recognized long before AD&D; his multiple nature is explained in a=  book called "Hermes the Thief", by an author whose name I can't recall=  right now. True, you won't find any altars to Hermes, God of Thieves, or=  any formal, organized worship, but then again, deities become patrons of=  various professions based on the most tenuous justifications. A Christian=  example of this is St. ________ (whose name I've forgotten); she was=  martyred and had her breasts cut off. Iconography showed her holding her=  breasts on a plate (!); later on, people thought that these were bells, so=  she became the patron of bellmakers. I remembered the story because the=  bells in my college's belltower were dedicated to her.

I've always thought that it was a measure of the complexity of Hermes'=   character that he was patron of both thieves and merchants. Even though=  there was no real "class" of thieves, Hermes was unofficially thought of=  as the patron of thieves because of his attributes of stealth and cunning,=  which they shared.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #477