Gloranthan timezones

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 23:59:16 +1300 (NZDT)

Gary R Switzer:

Me>>Personally I'm of the opinion that glorantha really has time zones but
>>nobody knows this.
>>Thus days look normal wherever one is on glorantha.

>But where is the MGF in that?

Please explain why having a screwed up day in the east isles and in the west is MGF. To me, it belongs in the category of 'too strange' like having the glorantha sky green, the sun blue, the wind orange and a haze instead of a horizon (somehow we can't see all the way to Pamaltela but we can see the stars at night?).

>And time zones in a world of Yelmdials and waterclocks?

Timezones are not dependant upon timepieces. They were undetectable to the sailors in the Magellanic expedition until they returned home and found they missed a day.

>But, couldn't one measure degrees of arc and notice differences without
>knowing how big the Sky Dome is? The more of the Sky Dome Yelm traverses
>in a given time, the larger the Dome is.

The sun traverses 180 degrees in one day. The distance to the sun is?

>If Yelm is directly overhead in
>Sog City only a shot time after it is in Boldholm, then the Dome (and the
>distance between the Gates of Dawn and Dusk) is quite large, but if Local
>Noon in Sog City is noticably later in the day (to someone from Someplace
>Else) then that would indicate a smaller Dome.

To detect this would require something more accurate than waterclocks.