Re: Solar parallax

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:46:21 EST

Gary Switzer:

<< But, couldn't one measure degrees of arc and notice differences without  knowing how big the Sky Dome is?>>

    And the answer is... ? :-)
    Seriously, this would be correct if the Sky Dome doesn't have an effectively infinite diameter (a matter on which there is still confusion). But as not even Greg knows how big the Dome is, AFAIK, nobody in the RW has a hope of working it out this way. Yes, there are presumably some people on Glorantha who know the answer*, but they aren't telling us poor GMs, the swines!

 << I guess what I am getting at is that the further West you are at Dawn the  more stuff is in the way, sometimes for much of the morning, whereas if you  are in the Eastern-most East Isles you get a pretty clear view, while the  opposite occurs when Yelm sinks slowly in the West.>>

      'Stuff' such as what? If you mean simple distance, then Sandy's argument is that the Dome is effectively infinite in size (regardless of whether it *really* is) just like the RW version. Of course, if there are mountains in the way, then dawn will happen somewhat later or dusk earlier as appropriate, again, as in the RW.

  <<It also occurs to me that Kero Finn would be Glorantha's biggest Yelmdial, casting a shadow that would reach, at Dawn and Dusk, clear to the edge of Dragon Pass and beyond.>>

     Now, there's a cool idea!

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky