Outlaws

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 20:48:01 -0800

Although I get cranky about thieves, I happily admit that outlaws, bandits, raiders, horse thieves, cattle thieves and random killers all exist a-plenty amongst the Orlanthi!

David Dunham writes:
>Assuming it's enforced. I imagine that in the 1600s, the Orlanthi are
>dutifully outlawing people who provoke the Lunars. But in many clans, the
>result would be the same as with Gunnar Hamundarson:
>"It is said that Gunnar rode to all gatherings and assemblies, and his
>enemies never dared to attack him. And so, for a time, Gunnar went about
as
>if he had never been outlawed."

Later Gunnar was placed under full outlawry and was told to leave Iceland for three yeras lest his life be forfeit to the kinsmen of the dead. As Gunnar rode off to his ship he glanced back at his home and thought how lovely the slopes were and said, "I am going back home and I will not go away." That fall, Mord Valgardsson, Gizur the White and Geir the Priest gather their followers and killed Gunnar in his stead (Njal's Saga sections 73-77). Is that the result you mean?

>Of course, if you have enemies, being outlawed does mean you (and your
kin)
>have no legal recourse if they attack you.

Which is what usually happens. People without enemies don't get outlawed.

>In the Taming of Dragon Pass campaign, the outlawing of Asborn, later
>brought back into the Varmandi clan as Horselegs, seemed like one of these
>sorts of weaselly outlawings.

It should be remembered that Asborn took service as a hall warrior with the King of the Colymar for some time, and only later returned to Varmadi lands under the protection of the wealthy and very powerful carl Boranthos the Thunderer.

Jeff