Gloranthan Minis

From: robertson_at_delphi.intel.com
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 08:14:15 -0800

Gary Switzer wrote:

>I suppose I'm showing my age but I still have some of the original
>Gloranthan minis, those made by Archive back in the late 70's. These
>included many of the Heroes from WB&RM (Gunda, Harek, Jar-Eel, Beat Pot,
>Ironhoof), Nomad Gods (memory fails me here) and some basic monsters such
>as the Jack O'Bear and Dragon Snail. Oh, and ducks...lots and lots of
>ducks. Archive was still kind of in business as late as 1988, IIRC,
>showing up at the occasional Dundracon, and the molds probably still
>exist...somewhere.

Ah yes, the Archive minis. I have a few, but even back then they were too crude for my tastes. Unfortunately, the molds were lost in a warehouse fire a while back. I haven't seen the RQ minis at Dundracon for a while, most were sold out at the RQ Con in San Francisco. On the other hand, except for the ducks (basically one for each of the Cults of Prax, there was a Humakt Duck, a Storm Bull duck, etc.) I don't really miss them.

I have yet to order anything from Dragon Claw, so can't comment on them.

Ral Partha just released Scorpionmen at $6.25 per figure (ouch!), along with two different sets of beastmen (broos) (7.25 for 4 if memeory serves). Beastmen are pretty standard in Fantasy wargaming now; RP, Harlequin and Citadel have them.

Some of the more esoteric RQ monsters are long out of print, but check your local game store's leftovers bin for old Ral Partha boxes and blisters.

Roderick