Glorantha the 3D model

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:50:36 GMT

Jane Williams:
> Alex seems to think I'm being "a tad optimistic.." in wanting exact
> measurements from which to construct a model. OK, before anyone else
> comes up with that one: yes, I know.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's an _unreasonable_ thing to want. Indeed, I Want One Too. Obviously my Detect Irony regarding your thoughts on whether you were going to get 'em right away Fumbled. (Huscarl, there's someone more sarcastic than I on this mailing list, and I want them caught and sliced _immediately_...)

> My chances of ever getting agreed dimensions are zero and falling.

I'd prefer to think of them as "zero and rising" (or at least "non-falling"), as I'd like to think that the discussions (and ceremonious Gregging) on this subject _might_ get someplace, and also in deference to the laws of probability. ;-)

> That being said, if anyone wants a look at a model, let me know the
> dimensions you'd like to see and I'll give it a go.

I would like to see one, so I'll try and improve my previous efforts. I'd suggest that you go with Sandy's infinite distance to sun/sky, but the Sunpath, that's a tad tricky right now...

TTrotsky:
> The start and end points of the Sun's path are known to be fixed at the
> Dawn and Dusk Gates.

This is true. However, it's not impossible that the Gates might move. <grimace>

> whether he passes through the very highest bit of the Sky Dome at the
> equinox

Just to be a real pain, here's a subsidiary question: when are the equinoxes, anyway?

> the summer Yelmstice

Which is my preferred solution, and the one Nick used. The main drawback here is it could well get Gregged (or Steved), especially to some version of the above.

> or all the time (and its just the Dome that
> tilts, so that the 'very highest point' is a different star at different times
> of the year).

Nope, that can't happen. The dome tilts, as you say, and the Sunpath always goes through the Pole Star.

Slainte,
Alex.

PS: here's another vote for the Official Munster Unionist Raving "whatever happened to #472?"
Party.