Height of the Moon

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:05:26 CET

Comrade Trotsky on the old CoP/GM statement that the moon is visible only inside the Glowline:
> I'm afraid this is also out of date. The Red Moon is visible
>throughout Glorantha (and this one is official, see ES p 43 and
>46). However, its apparent altitude does alter, so that it appears
>much lower in the sky outside the Empire than in, and dips quite
>rapidly in the sky as you cross the Glowline. However, as you
>say, this is doubtless because Moonlight bends in some peculiar
>way which varies with all kinds of things (the Empire not being
>circular).

What might be the case is that only within the Glowline the Red Moon is visible in its proper house in the sky, whereas everywhere outside it it is perceived hanging low in the sky. How a fixed body (though a turning one) can be in the proper house when all the rest of the sky turns around the Pole Star I don't quite see, but this is fairly recent information.

I don't know whether bendy light has anything to do with this, or whether Lunar glow is a different medium than ordinary light (the term "Silver Shadow" seems to indicate this). IMO inside the Glowline the moon has already reached its proper position in the sky (perhaps the one indicated for Verithurus(a) on the Copper Ledgers? Gotta check this...). A case of differently proceeding mythic reality mirrored by celestial phenomena, in my book.

Joerg Baumgartner (via Hotmail)
mailto:joe_at_toppoint.de