Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #481

From: TTrotsky <TTrotsky_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:26:10 EST

Gary Switzer:

<< I'm certainly confused now, because thinking about the speed at which Yelm
 would have to cross an effectively infinite diameter Sky Dome and that the  Blue Streak would drop at from such a Dome into the Pool makes my brain  hurt.>>

      Note that 'effectively infinite' just means larger than you can measure. As I pointed out before, that's only around 30,000 km diameter. And if the light bends such that we view the sky as if through a great lens, it could be a good deal less.

  <<Can the fall of the Blue Streak be timed (say in heartbeats) at all?>>

    Dunno. And does it fall at 10 m/s2 anyway?

<< And finally, if light is bendy, does it bend at a constant rate or does the
horizon expand towards the sun at dawn or dusk, contract at noon and nearly disapear altogether at night because the light would bend down towards Yelm in the Underworld? >>

    I believe the light bends at a constant rate in an upwards direction, so that the horizon doesn't do anything peculiar. I'd be surprised if this is ever Gregged, since it seems an unnecessary complication otherwise, but you never know.

Sergio:

<<Nights are dark, but is this elemental darkness? (I supose so, since when
Yelm died the darkness was expeled from the underworld to the surface world.)>>

     Yes, I agree with you.

<<If the dark at night is elemental darkness, where does it came from?>>

     It belongs to Xentha, the goddess of the night.

<< And where does it go in daylight?>>

     She takes it away with her when she goes down to Hell.

Peter Metcalfe:

<<And how is Sog City going to figure out when it is high noon in Boldhome?>>

     Ask someone. They don't need to know when it's high noon *at the time*, they only need to know how long after dawn high noon is in particular parts of the world. Of course, this wouldn't work if you're right about there being time-zones, since then dawn is at different times as well. But under the model I was discussing, dawn and dusk occur at the same time across Glorantha, and the only variable is the relative time of local noon between the two.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

    Trotsky