Spirit Combat

From: Alain RAMEAU <Alain.RAMEAU_at_total.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:21:46 +0100

I have reformed the spirit combat system in my house rules. They are available on my web page (http://www.btinternet.com/~karamo/rq.htm) but only in French (a succesful roll of R/W Sartarite could help). It may be summarized as follows : A new skill named Spirit Combat (Magic Skill, base=POW) has to be learned. It is used as attack and defense for spirit combat : each successful attack inflict MP damages to the other according to POU (POU 1-5 = 1, POU 6-10=1D, POU 11-15=1D6, POU 16-20=1D10, POU 21-30=2D6, each +10POU=+1D6). Each succesful defense roll allows to absorb such damages according to Spirit Protection attribute calculated as POU/5. A special/critical of attacks or defense increase such damages/absorbtion. Each round, one attack and one defense is authorised. The result is that spirit combat is shorter but more "deadly". And a couple of good rolls may allow a weaker spirit to win against a stronger one (which was statistically almost impossible under RQ3 standard system). To cope with those changes, I also amended/created some specific spirit combat spells (Spirit Screen, Spirit Claws, Spirit resistance,...), sorten the duration of the Bad Man combat for Shamanic Initiation, ... Alain ------------------------------