RQ Limbo

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 10:44:22 +0000

As I ponder the replies I've had about things like Spirit Magic (many thanks, BTW) I know I've been wondering whether it's sensible for me to start a campaign using RQ at all.

AFAIK this system, and its accompanying mechanics such as the whole POW concept, is in decline, and the new Issaries system likely to be quite different.

I don't know what sort of migration path is likely to exist from RQ to the new system (if any).

What I have so far concluded is that it probably isn't sensible to start RQ now. I'm thinking about using RoleMaster (my favourite system) rather than RuneQuest. Apart from anything else RM is very much alive. I also think I can convert from Runequest to Rolemaster pretty easily, and I certainly want to use all the old RQ material.

Furthermore, the new Issaries system is likely to be rules light (I have heard), so it could be used as a "sourcebook" for whatever gaming system I'm using. I'm not sure I'm ready yet to run wholely with a rules-light system.

Seems like the best of all worlds. Any thoughts?

Richard

P.S. I know this is all games mechanics type of stuff, but these issues do creep into the Digest pretty often.
P.P.S. Rolemaster is an aquired taste - people either love it or hate it. Don't blame me if you're one of the latter. - --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #482