RE: The Glorantha Digest V5 #481

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 09:18:44 -0600

Sergio:
>If the dark at night is elemental darkness, where does it came from?
And where does it go in daylight?

        In Gloranthan, unlike Earth, darkness is an active force, not just the absence of light. Darkness ultimately comes from the underworld. However, since the Sun spends half its time in Hell nowadays, Darkness can only be there half the time.

	Where does it go in daylight? I can think of two explanations:
	1) Darkness eternally flees the light, advancing ahead of Yelm
into Hell each morning, and then being driven out of Hell to the surface world each evening.

        2) We know that Darkness is able to contract & expand to fill an area (much as does light). When the sun comes, the darkness contracts and dwindles into the shadows you see all around you -- desperately seeking to hide itself from the sun. As the sun loses his power, the darkness gets stronger, and so the shadows get larger and deeper, until they fill the world on his departure, only to shrink again when he returns from Hell in the morning.