Re: Lanbril

From: Erik Nolander <eriknolander_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 07:30:35 PST

Hi all,

Continuing the Lanbril debate...

Sandy Petersen wrote:
>For instance, I do not believe that
>"Lanbril" is even a spirit -- I regard his "cult" as an intercity
>network of crooks which is pretty much secular. I don't think the true
>Lanbril society has worship services, specialty spells, priests, etc.
>It's pure business. Any magic they get is via contact with criminal
>sorcerers or acolytes. BUT I also believe that ignorant non-Lanbril
>thieves sometimes try to "worship" this non-deity, and that a mythology
>has sprung up around it. And in at least one place (Handra), the rumor
>of Lanbril has resulted in an actual pseudo-cult organized like a real
>religion.

Hold on a minute. What you're saying here pretty much dismisses most of the RQ2 cult write-up, and GoG as well, IMHO. So, the Pavic Lanbrili doesn't worship Lanbril at all? What reason do you have for *not* making Lanbril an actual deity? One of the things that make Glorantha special IMO is the fact that the gods are REAL, and not only the result of a need for community. You could actually apply this reasoning to every other Gloranthan cult as well, and the results would be disastrous. This sounds suspiciously much like Malkioni talking to my ears...

>>[Jeff Richards]Finally, I hate the idea of a generic "thieves' cult" -
as much as I
>>hate idea of a generic "thieves' guild".
>[Sandy] I don't think there is one, any more than there is a generic
>"city god".

I agree. Still, this doesn't mean that we have to dispose of Lanbril as a deity. There's probably no direct connection between the Lanbrili of Pavis and the ones in Nochet, for example. They worship the same god, but they can't visit each other's temples as, say, a Lhankor Mhy cultist could.

>I also agree there is no Theyalan patron of criminals. Except in
>Handra where they think Lanbril is the God of Thieves.

Call me ignorant, but where is Handra located?

Cheers,

Erik Nolander