Re: RQ limbo

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:17:29 +0100

Richard Develyn:

> As I ponder the replies I've had about things like Spirit Magic (many
> thanks, BTW) I know I've been wondering whether it's sensible for me to
> start a campaign using RQ at all.
>
> AFAIK this system, and its accompanying mechanics such as the whole POW
> concept, is in decline, and the new Issaries system likely to be quite
> different.

OTOH the new Glorantha game isn't scheduled for publication until 1999 (and it might see print even later). RQ is going to be around for along time, if nothing else for the sake of inertia.

> What I have so far concluded is that it probably isn't sensible to start
> RQ now. I'm thinking about using RoleMaster (my favourite system) rather
> than RuneQuest. Apart from anything else RM is very much alive. I also
> think I can convert from Runequest to Rolemaster pretty easily, and I
> certainly want to use all the old RQ material.

If you are more comfortable with Rolemaster, then use it, but RQ is the easiest way to go for now. I don't know what the new system wil look like, but RQ also has the great advantage of being eminently tweakable to suit personal tastes.

> P.P.S. Rolemaster is an aquired taste - people either love it or hate
> it. Don't blame me if you're one of the latter.

Indeed. I always found Rolemaster to combine the worst sides of class based and skill based systems...

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/