Various Things

From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 22:49:39 GMT

I agree about Spirit Combat being flavourless and boring in RQ2 and RQ3. RQ4 (the playtest version) had various more detailed skills for dealing with spirits but didn't quite make it feel right.

Does anyone recall the Heinlein story MAGIC INC? Remember how the witch in that was a little old lady on the Mundane plane but a vigorous and gorgeous Amazon on the magical plane? You might do something whereby a person can develop their spirit self at the expense of their physical self. Also looking at how MAGE handles the transformation to the spirit plane might provide some ideas....

richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com> wants to know:

> Anyway, I know it's all very old stuff, and much changed before becoming
> The Glorantha (only 6 lightbringers, ISTR, and they're called
> dawnquesters). Still, I was wondering about a few things:

If you're looking at Dragon Pass rather than WBRM then it was published post RQ although probably unmodified as far as text goes. I think that what you get there is the usual Gloranthan innaccuracies and subjectivities.

> 1) There's this androgynous thing wondering around the place. Does that
> exist in The Glorantha.

How dare you doubt his existence? She will have harsh words to say.....

Yes, and you should have a search for my story about her which is available somewhere I'm sure.

> 2) There's mention, I can't quite remember where, of a Valkyrie. I think
> it's the mother of one of the heroes. Is that in Glorantha now?

Gunda's mom. I don't know if we ever established her history. Sandy has some more details on her I believe.

> 3) It says that the Lunars were basically unlucky when they chose to
> build their Reaching Moon temple on top of the Brown Dragon. Was that
> really all it was - bad luck?

Ah, that's a Very Good Question! I'm glad you asked *that* question!

Next question!

Actor And Genius
AKA Theophilus Prince Archbishop Of The Far Isles Medieval Society Arms Purpure An Open Book Proper: On the Dexter Page an Alpha Or On the Sinister an Omega Or. Motto Nulla Spes Sit in Resistendo (Resistance is Useless). Ask me about the Far Isles: Better Living through Pan-Medieval Anachronisms.