Re: Dragon Pass Qs

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:15:34 -0500

Richard writes:

> I *loved* the idea of zombies walking around in single file (so to
> speak). You can almost imagine them each with an arm up on the shoul-
> der of the one in front, all being led around the place by Delecti.

We plan to present an "Upland Marsh Special" in an upcoming Tales of the Reaching Moon, in which (presumably) All Will Be Revealed...

> ... very old stuff, much changed before becoming The Glorantha (only
> 6 lightbringers, ISTR, and they're called dawnquesters).

  1. What makes you think nobody calls the Lightbringers "Dawnquesters"?
  2. What makes you think there were seven of them?

> 1) There's this androgynous thing wondering around the place. Does
> that exist in The Glorantha.

Yep, Androgeus certainly exists and he is a powerful and significant entity in Glorantha. (Though where she is in Argrath's Saga, none of us know).

> 2) There's mention, I can't quite remember where, of a Valkyrie. I
> think it's the mother of one of the heroes. Is that in Glorantha now?

Gunda the Guilty's mum was a valkyrie, "raped by a cruel philosopher" (IIRC). Seems there were valkyrie-like women in Fronela, back when the Chaosium ran gaming sessions up there. I seem to recall that Tostig (my idol!) had a run-in with them, somehow. Anyway, I'd bet on there being Fronelan barbarian warrior-women called "Valkyries" in "The" Glorantha. Not disembodied Wagnerian Votanic spirits: birds in chainmail  bikinis and form-fitting breastplates, with winged helmets. (It's that kinda game, after all. Just look at the cover art!).

> 3) It says that the Lunars were basically unlucky when they chose to
> build their Reaching Moon temple on top of the Brown Dragon. Was that
> really all it was - bad luck?

Of course not. That was just part of it. Think Feng Shui and Geomancy.

> Maybe one of you Grey Sages would like to say a word or two about the
> applicability of this game to modern Glorantha.

I believe that there are more good core Gloranthan notions per page of "White Bear and Red Moon"/"Dragon Pass" and "Nomad Gods" than you will find in many subsequent publications. I think you would be an eejit to pass over world-enhancing information from DP or NG in favour of stock role-playing concepts "inadvertently" included in RQ ("because nobody knew any better at the time"), like Thieves' Guilds in every city, or Blade Venom on every wakizashi. (See how much "Tarsh War" derives from "Dragon Pass" vs. every subsequent source; or look at the debt owed by "Cults of Prax", Tales #14-15 and Drastic: Prax to "Nomad Gods").

::::
Nick
::::