Time and Lightspeed and things oh my...

From: Vesa Lehtinen <akuleh_at_sci.fi>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:29:54

Eric Nolander about Lambril:
>There's probably no direct connection between the Lanbrili of=20
>Pavis and the ones in Nochet, for example.=20

        IMG Lambrili gangs are city-specific and in fact rivals of each other. Lone Lambrili from Nochet may purchase some aid from a Lambrili gang of Pavis but any bigger band who arrives is considered a potential threat.=20

Sergio:
<<Nights are dark, but is this elemental darkness?

        Yes. I would be ready to support James Frusetta's idea that the seasons and time affect even artificial lightsources...

Time zones:
First,
>From: DAVID CLEGG <Cdavid_at_sadler.com>
>Subject: We don't need no stinking time zones

IMO most of Glorantha is not so concerned about exact time anyway; Only humans concerned with it are Lhankor Mhy scolars, Malkioni wizards and Kralori bureaucrats. "It took you more than two hours to write that !" "My calculations indicate that your spell expires ... now" "You murdered someone during the Hour of Thief !"

(Mostali are an exception, yet again, and they are able to calculate time as work periods instinctively. Maybe they could find use of Gloranthan equivalent of an atomic clock if something requires a split-second timing but that would be being case-by-case basis IMO.)

The only thing most people on Glorantha need to be concerned of is dawn and sunset (unless the noon is so hot it requires a siesta period). When the sun (whatever name they call him) rises, they get up to do the day's work and when it sets, they go to bed. Otherwise they think in terms of weeks, holy days and seasons. Or, in battle, heartbeats.

Then what is the speed of light in Glorantha ? IMO it is the speed of the light when it crawls over mountains and hills in the morning.=20

Simon Phipp about the synchorizing timezones
>Not necessarily. What about a Mind Link between two people in=20
>different cities?

        In which we actually go to a question; What is the speed of _magic_ ? Is there a time-lag if somebody casts the spell over great distances ?

Spirit combat

        As far as spirit combat is concerned, the way it is handled in RQ (2 or 3) was just one more reason for me to like the system. Hacking spirits and ghosts apart with a sword, magical or not, never appealed to me. Of course in the world (as opposed to "rulewise" anyone with a Second Sight should see two, struggling transparent images...

Michael Cule
>You might do something whereby a person can
>develop their spirit self at the expense of their physical self.

        Shamands and fetches, anyone ?

Humakt ? I consider it inevitable that Arkat did _something_ to Humakt but severing kinship is IMO so fundamental to the cult that he did not invent it. More likely, he used the power to sever his magical ties to Malkioni to avoid magical retribution. I do not know whether is requires Illumination to do that (ie. sever anything else than kinship ties) but maybe Yanafil Tarnils came up with a similar idea ...?

Pete Nash and the skydome:
>When I say that Yelm travels through the gates of dawn and dusk I
>_really_ mean it. Built into five mile high mountain ranges on the
>east/west edges of Glorantha _are_ huge 500 feet high bronze and gold
>doors. Each morning/evening the respective doors are opened to a
>resplendant fanfare of Yelmic trumpets and choral singing.

        Nifty idea thought I would say that those gates should not look at all like man-made gates; unless you are willing to consider that they are built by cultures lead my those "fanatic Yelm worshipers". Hmmm... Where would be a cultural parallels for those people ?

        IMO if Dara Happan Emperor would travel there and demand to be acknowledged as the ruler of the world, the locals would look at each other, laugh and kick him back to whence he came.

Nick Brooke ?
> So: we're missing the RQ3 Ritual Spirit Magics (where any cultist
> can and should use the Ritual Rune Magics instead);=20

        BTW, errata to RQ 3 stated that it requires a spirit magic version of matrix enchantment to make a spirit magic spell matrix when most theistic cults have access only to divine magic version of it. I ignored the idea...

And Richard, if you want to use Chartmaster, feel free, but I=B4m afraid you would have to make up some of your own "Tables of X".

V"A"L