Myths, HHD, Geography

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:52:30 +0000

Robert McArthur:
> I'd like to find out how many poeple think any of the following are
> true:
>
> In 1620,
> 1. almost any Storm Kahn at the Block knows when the Thanatar HHD
> is. 2. almost any Wind Lord in Boldhome knows when the Thanatar HHD
> is. 3. almost any Storm Kahn at the Block knows when the Thed HHD
> is. 4. almost any Wind Lord in Boldhome knows when the Thed HHD is.
  1. Yes, 2. yes, 3. Yes, 4. Yes with the following qualifiers: Almost any means "most" - i.e. at least half. Girly Wind Lords/Storm Khans who join for the prestige/position do not count - we are talking Chaos Fighters here.

Peter Metcalfe:

>To detect [the time difference between Sog City and Boldhome]
> would >>require something more accurate than waterclocks.
Simon Phipp:
 >Not necessarily. What about a Mind Link between two people in  >different cities?
Peter:
> Range of 100m last time I looked.

Look again, cast at range 100m, then stays up until it runs out, wherever you are. Join up with a traded Guided teleport or a Sorcerous Teleport and you can return to your home city with an Extended Mind Link. As was pointed out by someone else, anyone who wanted to perform this experiment would have the resources to use such spells.

Sergio:

> Humm, my question is about elemental darkness, not about night. In
> Glorantha darkness is an element. What I'm interested is on what
> happens to this element. I'm looking for the *naturalistic*
> explanation. Not to the mythical explanation.

When the Sun appears or Light shines, Darkness withers away and flees to the shadows from whence it may appear when the light goes away. Unless, of course, it is really thick Darkness which dims the light and stays put, just to annoy the Yemic types.

> Alternatively, considering Xentha's pretty basic cult belief, she
> could just be the Mega Economy Sized version of the Shadows of
> Shadows Dance, so darn big she fills the entire lozenge.

The Shadows of Shaows Dance are Darkness Spirits with a Physical form, reduced versions of Xentha or Argan Argar.

> Daniel McCluskey:
> > There is still darkness around in the daytime ('cause you can
> > still hear stuff, and you can see it lurking behind trees and
> > under rocks ;-) but Xentha takes most of it with her when she
> > visits the underworld.

Apart from all the Darkness in Subere's Bosom which is still there during the daytime.

Jonathan Coxhead

The Red Moon:

> I think it should be modelled as a red sphere a few miles above
> Glamour,

Probably more than a few miles up, somewhere in the Middle Air beneath the Sky Dome, so that could put it several thousand miles up which would make sense.

> One of the strange things about the large-scale maps of Glorantha
> is
> that they show little evidence of divine activity. At smaller
> scales, one of the fascinating things about Gloranthan cartography
> is the history manifested in the landscape: the Paps and Agape, the
> Good Canal, the Block, the circular Glowline around Tarsh, Dragonewt
> Roads and so on. There's not much of this at the level of the
> Lozenge as a whole (Magasta's Pool and the Gates of Dawn and Dusk
> are exceptions). Why not?

Oh, I don't know, StormWalk Mountain has the shape of a Helter Skelter when Storm Bull pulled its head off, the hills around the Paps look like a cow, Wintertop is definitely awesome to behold as is the mountain in the Rockwoods west of Dorastor whose name I can't remember. It all depends on what you see as large features. Is a mountain or range of hills large enough? If so there are loads of evidence of divine acts. If not, you need continental features - Magasta's Pool, Valind's Glacier, The Cloud of Mist, The Burning Desert. However, most of the land masses are the bodies of land goddesses and do not do much.

> Why is
> the sky blue? Why is grass green?

The Sky is Blue because Lorian (Sky River Titan) invaded the Golden Sky Dome when the Waters were in ascendancy and covered that golden dome with his nasty watery nature. I heard recently that Heler is his son, resulting from this act or a related act.

Grass is actually orange as anyone who has the same colour-blindness as I do will happily testify.

Simon Hibbs:

> >If a HeroQuest is performed in normal Time, it pnly affects the
> >Questor. If performed on the God Plane then it carves out a groove
> >in the God Plane which allows others to follow it. If the Quest is
> >taught as part of a cult and is performed primarily by cult members
> >then it will become accepted as part of the cult.
>
> Hmmmm. I think when you say god Plane, you actualy mean Hero Plane?

No, when you say HeroPlane you mean Gods Plane. In Elder Secrets (I believe) it describes the Geography of Glornatha and describes the 3 Planes - Mundane Plane (normal places), Hero Plane (anything wierd and dangerous - things along the edge of Glorantha, Hell, The Sky, Magasta's pool, Cragspider's Castle, Dragon's Eye etc.) and the God Plane (anything in the non-sequential God Time reality). The use of Hero Plane is obselete.

> I don't think any heroquests are performed entirely in normal time,
> though some parts of them often are. At some stage, the hero has to
> leave the mundane world and enter the myth.

Yes, but "normal" quests only have a mythical component, they are performed on the Physical Plane. God Time/God Plane Quests are performed entirely in the Mythical Realm and serve to change or re-inforce the Myths themselves. Normal Quests cannot change the Myths themselves and only have mundabe effects (although these effects can be quite large).