Humath-Arkat and alynxes

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:34:49 -0800

Nick responded to Simon's canonical argument -
>> Unfortunatley, the Humath-Arkat > HumaArkat > Humakt theory is not
>> supported by Greg, and so cannot be considered to be canon until
>> such time as he is persuaded of it. Or until he comes up with an
>> even cooler theory of his own.
>Given that you agree this is a "cool theory", how many years are you
>prepared to wait for an "even cooler theory" before you start using it?
>I'd adopt what we have, until something better comes along. After all,
>where is "Humath" in print?

Well, Broken Council guidebook and on David Dunham's magnificient web page.  As one of the proponents of the Humath-Arkat "theory", I fully support it until I see something better come from Greg. FWIW, I consider it "hipster canonical", which is good enough for me.

BTW, Sandy's observation that Makla Mann first popularized the Cross of Lead heropath makes a lot of sense to me. Under the Bright Empire, Chalana Arroy healers were often distrusted by those who fought against Lokamayadon and the Empire. The Chalana Arroy healers certainly opposed Arkat and his reign of war - Makla Mann then murdered a band of them in a nasty ritualistic way. At the time, it might have even shocked Arkat.

Finally, Peter responded to Jeff Erwin's questions about "alynx-hsunchen": Jeff Erwin:
>I think there's a few clans of Alynx hsunchen around Dragon Pass with
>one around Kero Fin. But they are dying out IMO.

I strongly disagree and doubt that there have been Alynx hsunchen since at least the time of Vingkot. Certainly NONE existed at the time of Heort and the Dawn. Not every animal has hsunchen associated with it. This isn't to say that there isn't a strong association between the Heortlings (and maybe some other Orlanthi groups) and the alynx. Many clans have a Cat Witch and many great Orlanthi heroes have held Yinkin as a protector (much like Gunnar had Sam the watch dog) - including, of course, the bloodline of Rastalulf Vanak Spear, whose most famous descendent was Harmast Barefoot.

Jeff