Re: Straw Man and Stars

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 03:55:18 -0500

_______ _______
Trotsky responds to Simon P:

>> If more people took Glorantha as a place where the Gods exist and
>> the Myths were real, then we would have fewer pointless arguments
>> about the nature of things

> I must have missed something... who in this discussion said that the > gods don't exist and myths aren't real?

It's a traditional straw man, as used by people who can't keep up with a train of thought. It's the equivalent of calling names, and has no place in polite conversation about Glorantha. (Which is why those objectivist SOB's always end up resorting to it! :-)

Celestial Mechanics

Alex:
>> Orlanth's Ring is out of the Sky for the first week of Sacred Time,
>> and visible through the second week, leaving the Dome via Polestar
>> on the first night of the subsequent new year.
Peter:
> From the Polestar? Not Stormgate?

The Ring "launches" from Stormgate and "exits" from Pole Star. What Alex says makes sense: if Orlanth's Ring is visible through the whole second week of Sacred Time, it will pass outside the Sky Dome (leaving via Pole Star) on the first night of the New Year.

::::
Nick
::::