Opps, this is a big place!

From: Pete Nash <pete_at_pipistrel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:43:06 +0000

Firstly my appologies to Simon Phipp who seems to have taken a bit of flak for what is essentially my point of view. Secondly I like his ideas about Valkeries being warrior heros of the Vinga cult. Something worth being expanded upon.

Thirdly I loved Oliver's story about Yelm, and I now know what caused the start of the hero wars. "Loose talk costs worshippers..." Anyway, it serves me right for trying to write another myth based on his salty story! ;-)

Now onto buisness. I had honestly forgotten that the area we talk about is just the 'inner world', so my view of Glorantha has been limited. Sandy has both over-awed and dismayed me with his trippling of the diameter of the lozenge, and floating it upon a cosmic ocean up to 100 times wider. Maybe I should read more of the esoteric material about Glorantha!

Well I think that the inner world is easily big enough for me, so I'll keep my version of Glorantha as it is. There is already too much space to fill with enough detail, and I like to be able to send PC's to the 'ends of the world' (a 5,000km trek by foot/sea across unknown lands, facing weird monsters and finding different cultures is an epic in itself).

Since the cosmic ocean is now from 120,000km to 300,000km to 3,000,000km in diameter it makes a trip to
the gates of Dawn is a bit too long for them to complete in a dozen lifetimes. Heh, no wonder the Waertagi dragon ships have taken so long to sail back from hell! (assuming they had to sail up round the edge of the cosmic ocean).

Vesa mused about the construction of the gates of dawn and dusk. I'd always thought of them as being rectangular 3:1 ratio of height to width. The surface of them though is intricate bas relief of Yelm's travel through hell, highlighted with gold and other precious materials. The gold makes them glow brightly at night displaying the god's current position. They are obviously of divine manufacture from the size and artisic quality. I suppose they could as easily be tiangular...

The fanatic Yelm culture I placed around the areas are the human (and some elven) decendants of the divine and semi divine guardians of the gates. They are fierce and resolute, because they have to help guard the gates through eternity. Every once in a while a Dara Happan (or Pentan, or SunDomer) quester will arrive at the gates, so the local inhabitants will have some overtones of these cultures too.

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #490