Re: Magic Items

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 16:10:53 -0500

Richard (who'd rather be playing RuleMaster) writes:

> Doubtless you all see the AD&D +1 Sword mechanism as a horrible
> game construct. Nevertheless it puzzles me that you find very
> little evidence that such an item could exit in Glorantha.

Ignoring the non sequitur (if we naturally hate such things, why would you expect to find them?), I refer the honourable gentleman to the "Ibirios" brand of mass-produced magical swords referred to (and indeed illustrated) in the "Glorantha Book" of the Genertela boxed set: a God Learner atrocity of the highest order, and the proximate cause of their eradication from Kethaela by many divine decrees.

> The ultimate question is whether magical items and creatures in
> Glorantha have to follow prescribed rules.

Yes. And it takes very powerful magic (item or creature magic) to bend or break those rules. Think about the difference between a 1-MP Disrupt and a Dragon waking up. Same rules; different dosage.

> Can any strange enchanted magical artifact exist quite legiti-
> mately in Glorantha.

Stupid question. I am not about to allow you a "+5 Klingon Battle Cruiser" in Glorantha. Limit your questions, or we'll have to limit our answers.

There are plenty of weird, one-off, exotic and powerful magic items in Glorantha which cannot be constructed under the normal Enchantment rules. Which ones you permit in your games is up to you. Use common sense, and stick to the rules until you're confident enough to bend them.

::::
Nick
::::