+1 sword rebuttal

From: joelsona_at_superman.cig.mot.com
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:13:04 -0600

richard.develyn asks:
1) First of all, why not have a non-magical +5 (RQ terms) sword, maybe also doing an extra point of damage. These bonuses could just be due to fine workmanship.

     Just complicates the game. They have that sort of thing in Rolemaster also...

2) Swords with a Bladesharp 1 matrix are common (relatively speaking). What about something with a permanent BladeSharp 1 on it. Can Spirit Magic ever be permanent, or do you have to bind a spirit into your sword and get it to constantly cast Bladesharps for you?

     I suppose you could DI to make a spell permanent, but it seems wastefull. Binding the spirit into the weapon sounds like the sort of thing a western wizard would do, but for him it would be inefficient. A western wizrd is more likely to cast the strength & dex enhancing spells on a knight with long duration. That way the knight gets the help at everything he does, not just with a particular weapon...

3) Armouring enchantments are fine (so you can have a +1 shield). Couldn't toughened weapons do more damage as well. And why not have enchantments to lighten weapons but keep them just as tough - that ought to be worth a bonus on the skill to use the thing.

     I suppose something likethis could be managed, if the judge wants to figure it in, game balance-wise. But again, it seems to be another complication that doesn't really affect the game.

4) What about "holy" weapons of one sort or another - something with a permanent godly blessing which is extra effective against some adversary.

     A completely different subject. Holy weapons are available through many/most warrior god type-cults, IMO. Just look at the gifts section of Humakt's Gifts and Geases. If memory serves me correctly, the weapon enhancing gifts are for particular weapons. That's what all the commotion over lottery swords was about.

     Secondly, if you want a 'personal' weapon, you can always do an 'arming of XXX' type ritual (presuming your war god has one). Depending on how well you do, you could come out with a pretty nasty weapon. One that worked for anyone from your clan would be harder to get, but if you quested with the help of your clan, and kept that goal in mind during the quest, it should be do-able.

     Do what I did when I wrote the Last IceBreaker, make something up. I gave LIB a pretty nasty sword; it was always a True Weapon, and it had particularly ugly powers vs demons. Make up a background myth/ritual; he got it in a ritual combat with a demon, and paid for it with a mystic wound that made him limp every Deathday.

5) Finally, what could Sorcery do by way of item creation (beyond enchantment)?

     I have to beg off on this one, I never worked wit the sorcery rules.

>This isn't limitted to swords, indeed weapons, at all. Why not have
>cloaks to aid hiding, boots to aid stealth, even mundane things like
>combs which magically remove tangles.

     Sandy has said many times that Glorantha is a world filled with magic; that people should run into petty (and even meaningless) magical stuff much more often then most campaigns actually have it happen.

     Sounds good to me.

<snip> magic comes out of life - only living things (including spirits) can do magic <snip>

     Tell that to a western sorcerer and he'll laugh at you. Tell that to a Kralorelan and he'll probably think you daft; the whole world is magical.

          Andrew