leaving the inner world; valkyries; mass-produced magic swords

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:25:39 -0800

Pete Nash wrote

> Well I think that the inner world is easily big enough for me, so I'll
> keep my version of Glorantha as it is. There is already too much space
> to fill with enough detail, and I like to be able to send PC's to the
> 'ends of the world' (a 5,000km trek by foot/sea across unknown lands,
> facing weird monsters and finding different cultures is an epic in
> itself).

Once you leave the inner world you're, well, no longer in the mundane world. So the physical dimensions don't really matter much. You can tell people "you sail a trackless ocean for a year" and it's no big deal because time isn't the same (think the Celtic Otherworld).

Or, assuming you're travelling east to the Gates of the Dawn, you can find somewhere in Vithela that has special magic that lets you continue on your journey.

Either way, you can walk or sail to the hero plane.

If I recall correctly, Hon-eel was one who met Yelm at the Gates of the Dawn on one of her quests, so it's certainly possible to get there.

And Harmast made it to the Western gates. Chances are it didn't take him forever to get there, either.

Michael Cule wrote

> Simon Phipp's suggestion that Valkieries are Hero Spirits of Vinga is too
> good to turn down. The Warrior Daughters of Orlanth who bring his sons and
> daughters who die in battle to their rightful place in the Afterlife!

Just to throw cold water on this, the valkyrie we know of is Gunda's mom. Chances are real good she's from somewhere like Ygg's Isle, where they don't worship Vinga.

Simon Phipp wrote

> They are called "Swords of Sharpness" and appeared in one of the
> Wyrms Footnotes ... Apparently the
> God Learners found a way to churn out enhanced versions of these
> (equivalent to a +4 sword, I think) but this was by all accounts a BAD
> THING (can't see why though).

Well, some people don't like reliable power sources that don't cause air pollution. Nuclear power is not exactly popular these days... Presumably nobody minded the swords themselves (other than the enemies of the God Learners), but the process of making them was objectionable. I'd speculate that they were created by killing a sentient being (getting their spirit to power the sword).