Re: Lanbril nitpicking...

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 16:06:40 +0100

> secret... However, I still think that the Lanbril cult exists as such,
> and not only as a network. And no, Lanbril would probably not be
> worshipped in "mainstream" Orlanthi lands. I picture the cult as popping
> up where traditional Orlanthi ways clash with a more civilized world,
> such as in Pavis, Nochet and Handra.

If you think a widespread Lanbril cult adds to the fun then use it, of course. It does strain believability on one point though: continuity. Gloranthan relgion in general relies in very small extent on holy scripture and a thief cult is probably among the least likely to have holy writings. In order for a cult to live and survive it must have continuity over generations.

Criminal organizations only reach generation-spanning continuity when they have carved out a permanent niche in society, like the sicilian mafia or the japanese yakuza. I don't think a fractured, secterized frontier town like Pavis is good growing ground for this.

Old and established cities like Nochet and the metropoleis of the Lunar empire on the other hand certainly do have the basis.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689/