Minor stuff

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:50:28 +1200 (NZST)

Allen Wallace:

PH>>I wouldn't draw any definite Gloranthan conclusions from
>>the wording of the rules.

>Come on now. No matter what is written in this Digest the rule system
>people are playing in has as much to do with game reality as anything
>else. Saying that something is so but not being able to support it in the
>rules system people have to play in is pretty useless. The rules are what
>most people have to base their decisions on. MOst of us don't have access
>to all the data you have.

In terms of making a decision about what is possible in glorantha, the thematic material comes first. I don't meaning learning all the subtle nuances in the fortunate succession etc. but reading the basic stuff to see what the cultures are like.

For instance (albeit admittedly an extreme example), a vast mago-technical civilization can be constructed on the basis of the RQ3 sorcery rules yet the people of the west have no such civilization.

Trotsky:

Me>>They can
>>determine that since the local noon is off-centre then there must be some
>>place where the noon is in the exact centre (remember they would know the
>>noon is at dawn in the far east and at dusk in the far west). From simple
>>trig, they can find out the radius of the sky dome.

>Only if they know how far away the place is where noon is in the exact
>centre. Otherwise they only know the angle, and you need to know the
>length of at least one side to do trig.

You only need two angles and the distance between them.

>Incidentally how (if at all) do you get time zones to work on a flat world?

I never said I believed that glorantha was flat.