Valkyrie/Humakti/Luathelans

From: Simon Phipp <simon.phipp_at_walshwestern.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:21:37 +0000

Nick Brooke:
> Simon Phipp, with no perceptible sense of irony, writes:
>
> > Ginna Jar also existed and took part in the DawnQuest.
>
> This is admirable, developing an argument which began with
> Simon's contention that the word "DawnQuest" formed no part
> of a modern Gloranthan's vocabulary. Whatever next?

Wrong Simon, I'm afraid. As far as I know I've never said anything about the word DawnQuest. I think you mean Simon Hibbs.

Richard Ohlson:
>> In Humakt's case, would an ex-initiate be un-resurectable? Could they
>> use table knives and swords? Would they be hunted down like treacherous
>> dogs and carved into bite size bits?

George W. Harris:
> Depends on the temple in question. An initiate could request to be
> voluntarily excommunicated or he may simply become an inactive
> initiate. He will not lose all connections and his oaths will
> still be binding. Hence I think he'd been unressurectable.

Humakti CAN be resurrected. They simply hunt down the people who resurrected them, kill them and them send themselves back to Humakt's Halls. Humakti canot be turned into Undead, according to cult dogma (except, of course, when they have been .......)

It is a shame that Peter Metcalfe/Nick Brooke seem to be unable to comment without resorting to needless sarcasm, not just in reply to my postings. Unfortunately, this drastically reduces the enjoyment derived from participating in the Gloranthan Digest.

Jeff Richard:
>From G:CotHW we know that there are a race of powerful purple-skinned, who
smashed the royal army of Seshnela and shattered the kingdom. I doubt strongly that they are Yelm worshippers, in fact I rather doubt that they are even theists.

Well, they are descendants of Rausa, Goddess of Dusk, daughter of Yelm, and fought in the God Wars as foot soldiers, so I reckon that they recognise at least some of the Yelmic deities, even if they do not worship them. They rank alongside the Umbroli or Dehori in my opinion. By the way, I think that there were only a few of these involved in that deed, maybe 6 or a dozen. Not bad going.

David Dunham:

> Just to throw cold water on this, the valkyrie we know of is Gunda's mom.
> Chances are real good she's from somewhere like Ygg's Isle, where they
> don't worship Vinga.

Ah, but Gunda's mother was raped by an evil sorcerer, a deed which resulted in Gunda's birth. How many sorcerers live up in the Yggs Isles? It seems more likely that the sorcerer either summoned up a Valkyra (why? because he could) or met her on a HeroQuest (sorcerers perform HeroQuests as well as theists). Neither of these actions imply a definite geographical location. Also, Gunda was a well-travelled person in her own right and only met up with the Wolf Pirates after adventures of her own. Don't forget that the other two famous Wolf Pirates are Harrek (a Rathori from Fronela) and Argrath (a Sartarite) both of whom ended up with a group of people who began in the Yggs Isles but have since moved on and now are based many miles from their homeland.