Re: The Glorantha Digest V5 #491

From: styopa_at_iname.com
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:38:51 -0600

>Subject: Re: Magic Items
>> The ultimate question is whether magical items and creatures in
>> Glorantha have to follow prescribed rules.
>Yes. And it takes very powerful magic (item or creature magic) to
>bend or break those rules.

Nick, I very respectfully disagree 100% with you. The answer to the question posed by Richard, which deserved better than a patronizing answer, is simply this: in YOUR campaign, you can do ANYthing you want. OF COURSE it's the DM's discretion of whether items and creatures have to follow prescriptions set forth in the RULEBOOKS. If you want to follow canonical RQ, however, there's an argument for what you responded, although the mutability of reality that seems to be GS's main point about Glorantha makes that somewhat moot, too.

>> Can any strange enchanted magical artifact exist quite legiti-
>> mately in Glorantha.
>Stupid question. I am not about to allow you a "+5 Klingon Battle
>Cruiser" in Glorantha. Limit your questions, or we'll have to limit
>our answers.

Stupid answer. Actual answer: yes. Can it exist in Nick's campaign? Apparently not. For spaceship analogues in RQ, I'd refer the gentle reader to the amusing tales of the Outer Atomic Explorers.

> Use common
>sense, and stick to the rules until you're confident enough to bend
>them.

Why? Screw with the rules - that's how you figure out play balance. MGF is the key, and the rules be damned if they get in the way.