The Fetch and the Self.

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:42:47 +0000

Michael Cule :

>Nothing like it. Your fetch isn't yourself. I know the rules say it is
but it
>doesn't act like yourself: you don't become your fetch when you enter
the
>spirit plane.

However, your fetch is your shadow on the spirit plane. It's different from the part of you that lives in the material world, but it's still part of you.

What follows is a far from ideal analogy, I hope it helps.

Awakening your fetch is as though a right handed person had their left hand tied behind their back all through their childhood, then had it released on becoming an adult. It's awkward and clumsy, it doesn't coordinate well with your right hand without a lot of practice and it starts out very weak. However, you can do things with it, in combination with your right hand, that you could never do before.

The right hand is your material body, the left hand is your fetch. At first, your left hand would be so awkward and uncontrollable that it seems as though it's got a mind of it's own. It's a part of you that you've never realy noticed or become accustomed to, and so it seems alien. In gaining the use of it, you have to find a way to redefine yourself.

The same is true of Allied Spirits and Familiars, but shamans, theists and sorcerers define the boundary between their mundane and spiritual selves in different places and in different ways.

BTW are Michael Cule the Digest regular (and lynchpin of last Convulsion's Orlanthi heroquest), and Mike Cule the ex-Vogon, who is to be Guest of Honour at the Hitch hiker's Guide to the galaxy aniversary convention, one and the same?

Simon Hibbs