Flat Glorantha

From: Jeff Richard <jrichard_at_cnw.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 10:16:38 -0800

Allen Wallace takes the gloves off and writes:
>It has been apparent for some time that your Glorantha is a globe and the
>Flat-Gloranthaers are merely uninformed primitives. Or if not a globe
>exactly something similar. Why else would you go to such extreme and often
>abusive lengths to prevent anyone from having someone get something
>definitely contradictory accepted as gospel?

I don't know if Peter advocates a flat Glorantha or a round Glorantha or is simply agnostic when it comes the the shape of Glorantha. Nor do I think that his actual belief is particularly relevant. In my humble opinion, this debate is the sort of thing that pointy-headed Gloranthan philosphers do. Despite the current hypotheticals involving some Orlanthi Wind Lord or his Mastakos worshipping charioteer using Guided Teleports and other such RQ2/3 monstrosities in order to carry a sun dial around Genertela, I don't think such a thing has ever been done and is unlikely ever to be done.  Perhaps the Jrusteli attempted something out of Umberto Eco's "The Island of the Day Before", but certainly not the warrior-priests of the Heortlings.

Don't worry Allen - these theories are raised only in the scholastic drinking haunts of cities like Nochet and Sog City. Unless your campaign centers around playing a group of cosmopolitan philosophers arguing about obscure esoterica and seeking to learn the forgotten secrets of the Jrusteli (which would be a cool campaign and something I've long been tempted to run) I doubt it has any relevance whatsoever.

I've had campaigns where my players have flown up the great heights of Kero Fin, seen angry storm spirits and found Kero Fin's hall looted and defiled.  I've had sessions where characters chatted with Issaries Psychopomp on the battlefield and offered the Lady of the Wilds hospitality. While wearing my strong Heortling hat, I've seen the Thunderer defeated by the High Storm and Nysalor maim Kyger Litor. But when I play my Alkothi drums, I see none of these things. Instead, I dwell within the Walls of the City of the Dead and speak to my dead father who tells me to hate the Darjiini usurpers.

Just a difference in approach, I guess.

Jeff