Re: Disinformation; Patrik's Questions

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_Brooke_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:42:54 -0500

David Dunham writes:

> You can magically jump from Wintertop to the Red Moon, and that's
> halfway there.

The Empire Loyalist in me hopes lots of Orlanthi "heroes" try this out.

The humanitarian in me points out that, while you *can* magically jump from Mt. Top of the World to the Red Moon, nobody's ever tried it from Wintertop AFAIK, and there's already been enough blood shed in the red clay soils of Tarsh.

Is it my fault Simon P. finds rules submissions (cf. last Gloranthan Weakly) and world background (cf. NB posts passim) useless because he uses an outdated edition of RQ and has little interest in its setting?

("Then the illuminated scorpion vampire Humakti were-shark attacked us, and although it would only have taken me one blow to kill it, I fumbled and killed my best friend. How we all laughed...").

Silly little Mikko.

Patrik writes:

> We know that the Urox cult don't have any worshippers or temples in
> Sartar after 1613.

Any *public* worshippers or temples. Being a Sartarite worshipper of the Storm Bull is illegal; announcing a Storm Bull worship service is a silly thing to do in view of the known disapproval and proscription levelled against the cult by the Lunar authorities. But do you really think a Storm Bully is going to be overly obedient to Lunar rules?

> Do you think there are any Uroxi in Sartar in the 1620's?

I'm fairly sure of it. They didn't *all* flee the Kingdom of Sartar after the failure of Starbrow's Rebellion, did they? I'm sure there's a "resistance" of sorts, though with Uroxi subtlety it may be of the proverbial "Resistance is Useless" variety. It may also be unpopular with the peace-loving locals, for all the frequently rehearsed reasons (vs. rebels in general and bullies in particular).

> Has anybody played long enough in Prax and Pavis to make a
> decision on who replaces Sor-Eel the Short?

My guess would be Duke Raus -- local experience, PC connections, and an old frontier hand by the early 1620's. It's a good (limited) first step back into Moonson's good books, too, which means it'd rile his enemies in the Heartland, which means you can export Dart Competition politics and professional assassins and other such trappings to dusty Pavis City. All good clean fun.

> Maybe MOB has some opinions on this one... What happens to the Coders
> after the things portrayed in "Strangers in Prax"?

Two comments on this. First, the "future history" in "Reaching Moon Megacorp's Life of Moonson" is not meant to be accurate or definitive. It's in some ways a Lunar dystopia -- we scheduled events after 1625 so as to give us the starting situation for the freeform. So I wouldn't insist on other games adhering to the sketchy outlines we've provided.

Second, the events that result in the disbanding of the Coders are key to some of the plotlines in "Life of Moonson", and I would rather not go into them until after that freeform's next run, this July at Convulsion.

I would suggest that whatever happens to the Coders in your own game be driven by its dramatic needs, and by player interactions. Do stuff that creates or results from interesting scenarios and encounters, rather than=

copying events we dreamed up for wholly different reasons.

::::
Nick
::::