Polemics...

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:30:21 +1200 (NZST)

Allen Wallace:

>It has been apparent for some time that your Glorantha is a globe and the
>Flat-Gloranthaers are merely uninformed primitives. Or if not a globe
>exactly something similar.

If is apparent that Flat Gloranthaers are 'uninformed primitives' then why are you complaining to me about it? I have never said or implied that believers in a flat glorantha are uninformed.

>Why else would you go to such extreme and often
>abusive lengths to prevent anyone from having someone get something
>definitely contradictory accepted as gospel?

Abuse? Where? I've not referred to anybody as 'mythic challenged' as happened in GD V5#485.

'definitely contradictory'? If by this you mean material that proves the existance of the flat glorantha rather than the typical staffordian writings then I have been doing no such thing. What I have been doing is disputing that people can measure the solar parallax and/or time difference in glorantha by simple magical and technical means (ie teleport with a sun dial). I have even explained why I am doing this.

>Actually you may even have Greg in your corner on this one.

It's news to me. All the stuff I've seen from Greg's Pen seems to presume a flat glorantha.

>I'm afraid I lost my respect for
>Gloranthan legitamacy when I heard about the first lore auction.

What was said in the first Lore Auction that diminished your respect for gloranthan legitimacy? Furthermore what makes you think that what I say is gloranthan-legit?

>Play
>you're Gloranthan globe, have all your magic come from Flux-world super
>computers it doesn't matter.

Then why are you making a such a fuss about it? And where did these super computers come from?

>Just try to be polite to us ignorant savages who don't want to play
>that way.

Now let's see. Have I been dumping on Pete Nash? No. Have I been impolite to you? No. So what is your problem?

>I dont want to drop the list because I'm tired of people belittling
>everyone else because of different base assumptions that no one is
>willing to admit to.

It's a great pity that you couldn't tell us what your different base assumptions are so we could understand exactly what is upsetting you so much.

> Sorry for the tirade, and I'm sorry I'm singling you out.
> A lot of people are doing it.

Just because a 'lot of people' are 'singling' me out doesn't give you any right to.