Harrek

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_voyager.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:58:05 +1200 (NZST)

Joerg Baumgartner:

Amidst much sensible stuff, sneaks in a troll...

>Despite persuasive arguments by Peter
>Metcalfe I still am not quite convinced that Harrek was behind the great
>Kethaelan raid of the Wolf Pirates in 1616 - too much a crutch to ferry
>him back to Fronela, gather Rathori and Pralori barbarians and then raid
>Sog City.

His presence at the Kethaelen Raid of 1616 ST is fact (cf the pic in book 1 of the Genertela Boxed set). The Sack of Sog City happened _before_ this in 1614 ST and he had Uncolings (not Pralori) in his army. I do not think he had Rathori as he has pissed them off by killing the White Bear and he definitely has no wolf-pirates in his army. Harrek then goes on a boat to Seshnela (cf ToTRM#10) where he is recruited by wolf-pirates based at the Three-Steps Isles.

Having sacked the Rightarm Isles, he then decides to raise more troops and so in the next year (1617 ST), he visits the Ygg's Isles (presumably by boat crewed by wolf pirates) and quests to become Ygg's champion. Having done so, he leads half the population towards the Three Step Isles.

The only flaw Joerg has mentioned is that Harrek appears to have acquired the Ice Serpent _after_ he has visited Ygg's Isles for the first time so it does not make an appearance at the sack of the Rightarm Isles. I am prepared to concede that it may have been built for him when he arrived at the Three-step Isles in 1615 and so sailed in it to Ygg's Isles in 1617 ST.

>(And wouldn't the Yggling-descended Wolf Pirates have
>preferred to plunder Southpoint and Northpoint, in order to get even?)

Yup. They sacked the coastline of Western and Southern Genertela. The Sack of Sog City was worse IMO because it was unprecedented in its savagery.