Various tidbits

From: Joerg Baumgartner <jorganos_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:19:58 CET

Pavis:

Patrik Sandberg wrote:

>1) We know that the Urox cult don't have any worshippers or
>temples in Sartar after 1613. A praxian (Orgwaha) takes
>reponsibilty for a High Holy Day in 1614 or so.

To me, this means that there is no officially acting high berserk-priest of Storm Bull (I'll leave khans to the Praxians, and Lords to the Orlanth-worshippers) shortly after Kallyr's rebellion because Tonalang Greathelm's actions caused them to be outlawed and persecuted.

BTW, I'm not exactly sure whether that fateful day when Temertain found his love wasn't already in late 1613 (haven't got the Gloranthan calendar at work).

Orgwaha as a Praxian was a politically acceptable stand-in for the ceremony.

According to an older, unpublished source, Temertain had shown an extraordinary display of guts when he had claimed full amnesty for his personal retinue, and then brazenly marched into Boldhome with some of the leaders of the rebellion in tow (probably not Kallyr, but I'd bet on Blackmor's father). The "incident" on Storm Bull's High Holy Day very nicely rid Fazzur of these retainers and wrong influences - after all, it took Estal Donge to rescue Temertain, probably after his companions had been slain.

>But that's about
>all. Do you think there are any Uroxi in Sartar in the 1620's?

Plenty. They keep to as low profile as berserks can manage, though, and have virtually disappeared from public life, at least in the cities.

>Ain't it possible that some foreign Storm Kahn (be he Praxian,
>Heortlander, or Talastarian/Aggarian) arrives and rebuild the
>cult? (Most likely in the near vicinity of Snakepipe Hollow.)

Quite possible. As long as he is a well-behaved Storm Bull (like Oddi the Keen) the Lunars won't argue much against his stirring up the chaotics there now and then - it keeps the chaotics well trained, doesn't it?

>2) Has anybody played long enough in Prax and Pavis to make a
>decision on who replaces Sor-Eel the Short? A man from the
>deeper parts of the Empire, or some local boy?

That's material for a campaign, really. Sor-eel has been in a strange position, anyway: he comes from Heartlander origin but is a follower of Fazzur. This makes him suspect to Tatius' faction as much as to the nascent Phargantite faction at the Tarshite court. With Fazzur going out of favour Sacred Time 1621, 1622 is a likely date for Sor-eel's replacement, but by whom? If you want to have fun, play out a dart competition between a Tarshite candidate and some crony of Tatius, while Sor-eel and his friends still struggle to maintain his position. Places to visit: Boldhome (seat of the governour-general), Furthest (capital of Tarsh), Jillaro (seat of the Provincial government) and of course Pavis. Any band of Orlanthi may become indentured into this conflict as a "cheap way out" of some minor accusation of rebellious activities.

>3) Maybe MOB has some opinions on this one... What happens to
>the Coders after the things portrayed in "Strangers in Prax"?
>Were they involved in the Cradle affair?

Despite MOB's yes, I don't think so. IIRC the Coders come to investigate the Cradle affair, and SIP plays in late 1621/early 1622.

>Do they take an active part in the
>hings happening in Heortland and Holy Country in the early
>1620's?

Now, that's "my" territory. I doubt it - the conquest of Heortland by Fazzur was a clean operation (unlike the final assault on Whitewall, which may well have been investigated by the Coders for excessive losses on the Lunar side, and the results hidden away by highest Lunar authorities controlled by the Assiday family).

>Do they have any dealings with Tatius the Bright?

I'd like to think so. Maybe their assignment to Pavis was thought as a Corflu Job after their report on Tatius' conduct at Whitewall?

Magical Swords:

Several people claim that the denizens of the Machine City were persecuted for mass-producing magical +3 swords. Well, it wasn't the product which caused the outrage, but the production method, i.e. they chained two gods (one of them Bingista, the good, rain-bringing wind of Kethaela) and tapped them for the energy to produce these items. If they had found an ecologically unproblematical way to do this, I doubt anybody would have been outraged ("I want one too").

Harrek Timeline

Peter and I have been over this a cople of times...

>His presence at the Kethaelen Raid of 1616 ST is fact (cf the pic
>in book 1 of the Genertela Boxed set).

Oh, _that_ picture. The old cover artwork for some edition of White Bear and Red Moon or Dragon Pass, showing all the major characters (the guy with the snake head is supposed to be a dragonewt, if not the Inhuman King) battling around the Temple of the Reaching Moon (that's why all the defending priests are bald...). A typical example of artwork recycling with different capture, not always appropriate ("note the differences in equipment" - hah!).

Apart from that, the timeline makes sense with Sog plundered in 1614, if the Ban state allowed this (i.e. did the KoW emerge that early, so that Harrek could encounter Lord Death?).

Joerg Baumgartner (via Hotmail)
mailto:joe_at_toppoint.de