Re: tribute

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:56:54 -0800

Joerg answered me

> the tribute is
> raised in addition to the dues to the ruling powers and the temples

I think we have a semantic problem here. Generally, you are a ruling power if you can extract tribute. A clan rules (at least in a loose sense) its tributary.

It's pretty unlikely that the Varmandi clan could go the the Ernaldori clan of they Colymar tribe and extract tribute. They've got a king who is pretty good grounds for refusal, and would likely thump the Varmandi. If the king of the Colymar can't protect them from the savage Varmandi, then either the king will be deposed, or the Ernaldori will leave the Colymar (and possibly join in a tribe with the Varmandi, so they at least get something for their tribute).

One other confusion: paying tribute is not the same as paying annual tribute, though I find it easy enough to get it confused. The Orlkar tribute is clearly not an annual payment.

> Whether shameful or not, a tribute is harmful to the clan economy.

Sure, but probably less harmful than the alternative.

> But surely you have to be a peace clan to live with a tribute for a
> significant time without taking measures against it.

Depends on the size of the tribute, whether it's annual or not, and who's asking it. If the Inhuman King or Harrek the Berserk showed up and asked me to pay tribute, I'd probably hand it over without even *thinking* of taking measures.

> And a tributary clan always stands in danger to be compared to the
> Vendref...

Being a tributary doesn't make you a thrall.