Greg on AOL: The Answers

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 23:21:26 EST

Still full of caffeine, I'm going to write a brief summary of the AOL chat even its 4 a.m. here at the moment. I've only taken notes; I gather Shannon will put up the whole thing on www.glorantha.com later if you want that.

The new game is tentatively titled 'Hero Wars', although this doesn't seem to be definately fixed yet. It will use d20s, not percentile dice, but won't include personality traits like Pendragon. Mystical magic will get a mention for the first time alongside divine, spirit and sorcery, but there won't be much in the way of concrete rules for it to being with. However, Greg only got the first draft of the rules today (24th) and hasn't read them yet!

The planned schedule is currently for the first supplement (Hero Wars: Introduction to Glorantha) to come out in 'early 99'. Both the new rules and the Orlanthi supplement are hoped to be out in time for Gencon (hopefully somebody out there knows when this is, 'cause I don't!)

Four types of book are planned for the game: 1) 'Core Books'. For instance, the rules, the Introduction to Glorantha, and a Gloranthan encyclopedia
2) 'Fact Books'. Stories, overviews, etc. 3) 'Player Books'. Explaining how to use the fact books to actually run a game.
4) 'Regional Books'. The first three will be Sartar, Heortland and Esrolia. These will be followed (in the dim and distant future, no doubt :-)) by some on the Lunar Empire, then the Oceans, then HeroQuesting (not sure how this is a 'region', I assume its something to do with the HeroPlane) and what Greg typed as 'llands', but which I assume isn't 'islands' because we've already had Oceans...

Replies to a few questions of interest:
Is the Stratelibri deal definately dead?

     For minis, yes. They may get the license for the Italian version of the new RPG
Will new minis licenses be granted?

     Maybe
Will Soldiers of the Red Moon/Tower of Night/Imther be released for the new rules?

     Probably
Will details of the new RPG be posted at www.glorantha.com for the benefit of those who can't get to the conventions?

     Yes - when the time is appropriate
When are going to see more troll stuff (Jamuz asked me to ask this one...)

     You've already got Trollpak! (I assume this means 'not for a long time') Will the new game be available on CD?

     Possibly
What's your new novel about?

     Harmast's initiation. Lokamaydon turns up too, apparently, but Arkat doesn't.

There were a few other bits, but I didn't take notes on everything, so you'll just have to wait for the transcript at www.glorantha.com, won't you?

Off to bed now, I think
Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky