Hot Stuff, Hot Swords and Other Things

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:13:48 -0800

Eric Sieurin asks:

>Ready? OK. Did you notice something peculiar? A lot of the food is
>boiled or fried or battered. To prepare food in such a way, you need
>a: FIRE!

>This means the chain is run by a strange brotherhood of
>fire-worshipping troll sorcerers (cooks)!

>Who controls 'em? Anyone?

Interestingly, in #496, Jamuz Frusetta speculates on smiths of Gadblad who wish to throw everything over and go off to make interesting things. Maybe some of them switch careers, giving up hot metal for haute cuisine. Btw, you don't actually need FIRE to cook things with, you need HEAT and I suspect that the Trolls have learned to harness flameless heat sources quite well. Long ago, during the Duck Hunter God discussions, I suggested that the Deep Hunter of KoS, pg 106 with his pot of pitch was Zong, indicating a Troll God playing with heat, plus the OOO's use of obsidian is another Troll/Heat connection. Still, fire-worshipping troll sorcerers sounds way cool, too. :)

The Magic Sword Thread got me to thinking...

        Whatever they did, perhaps what brought about the God Learner's Doom was that all that messing with Things Man Was Not Meant to Know finally resulted in them collectively losing their immunity under the Compromise, resulting in a short, sharp application of Divine Free Will "pour encourager les autres" as the old saying goes.

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies