Mass Produced Blades, Panning for Gold

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:31:59 -0800

Paul W. Wegner says:

>Also, on mass produced magical/high quality arms and armor. I seem to
>recall that while Japanese sword makers were able to produce incredibly
>high quality katanas...it took a long time to do so - all that folding of
the metal.

I should point out that (after sulpher) the bulk of Japanese exports to China in the 15th-16th centuries were made up of swords, lacquer chests, bronze vessels, and fans. And I mean supplying whole army units with swords kinds of blades, made by large numbers of journeyman swordsmiths all over Japan, but still of a far higher quality than could be produced locally. The Machine City Sword, in and of itself, is not all that great. It's the vile built-in magical features, combined with the low unit cost, that made them what they were.

In #499 Richard Meints gives us a quick glance at Dwarf Mining opperations:

Which gets me to thinking about other uniquely Gloranthan means of finding valuable stuff that isn't in a tomb or temple. For a while I was thinking of running a campaign based out of Knight Fort with grizzled prospectors and other sourdough types combing the eastern foothills of the Stormwalk Mts. for gold nuggets and veins of silver. It would also give a reason for the Fort's somewhat odd location...perhaps ready access to running water to turn crushing mills. Even with detect/sense (substance) it would be a hard, dangerous life and what more could the players ask for?

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies