RE: +1 swords

From: richard <richard.develyn_at_nwpeople.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:45:20 +0000

Vesa Lehtinen <akuleh_at_sci.fi> wrote:

Lots of useful stuff and opinions about magic in Glorantha, for which I'm very grateful.

Then she said:

> And Richard; I think nobody ever forbade you to use Rolemaster but this is
> bit too obvious plug to justify Rolemaster-style equipment bonuses. You do
> not have to justify them for us, only to your players.

Which really isn't true, though I accept I might have given that impression.

Inevitably when you start to look at using a different gaming system for Glorantha you start to question what is there because of the RQ rules and what is there because of the logic of the world.

I am *not* trying to plug RM - each to their own.

I do feel that the RQ2 treasure generation system has a lot to answer for. I played RQ2 for about 4 years, and in that time formed the opinion that magic items in Glorantha could only be combinations of spirits, matrices and crystals. Even looking at the windsword it looks (barring Truestone) very much RQ2 treasure generated.

Plunder turned all that on its head - but mainly for artifacts.

Sandy's post with all those swords turns that on its head too. Sandy's comments on his sorcery rules - items which cast spells when certain conditions happen - now starts making me think that the stuff found in the old D&D miscellaneous magic tables would be at home in Glorantha.

Some examples:

ring of invisibility
staff of striking
boots of speed
cloak of the manta ray
girdle of giant strength
gauntlets of dexterity
sphere of anihilation (!)

Oh sure, some of the stuff in those tables is pretty silly, but it's the principle I'm trying to understand. I even remember seeing people converting characters from AD&D to RQ and discarding all that sort of stuff for POW storage crystals and what have you.

There's two principles I'm trying to grasp, in fact. First: can they exist at all. Second: how common are they. And do the principles change when you consider good quality non-magical stuff (which, I know, is an RM concept).

Richard
- --

Richard Develyn                                 Tel: (UK)-1732-743591
Principal Architect / Development Manager       Fax: (UK)-1732-743597
Network People International                    http://www.nwpeople.com